District Timeline

District Timeline

July 18, 2016 - The District removes the mandatory restrictions for the days and duration of landscape irrigation (previously two days per week/10 minutes per station). This was made possible by a change in state regulations which allows water use restrictions to be based upon actual local water supply conditions.
June 1, 2015 - The District initiates the mandatory use reduction program for domestic/commercial customers, using active monitoring and enforcement of mandatory use restrictions on outside ornamental landscape to achieve water use reductions equaling 36% of the district’s total potable water production for domestic/commercial purposes in Calendar 2013.
May 5, 2015 - Under direction from the Governor’s Executive Order, the California State Water Resources Control Board adopts regulations implementing the state-wide 25% reduction in water use for 270 days, however, the method of implementation results in a 36% reduction requirement in the Valley Center service area, based upon relative Gallons Per Day Per Capita (GPCD) measured in July through September of 2014.
April 1, 2015 - Due to a worsening drought situation, Governor Brown issues a Drought emergency Executive Order, B-29-15, calling for mandatory state-wide conservation of 25%.

2015

August, 2014 - In response to a directive from the State Water Resources Control Board, the Board takes action to move the District into a Water Supply Shortage Response Program, Level 2, Water Supply Shortage “Alert’’ Condition, with mandatory water use restrictions and restrictions on new development processing.
March, 2014 – In response to a call from Governor Brown for statewide 20% voluntary water conservation, the Board acts to implement a Water Supply Shortage Response Level 1, Water Supply Shortage “Watch” Condition
February, 2014 – Lower Moosa Canyon Water Reclamation Facility named “Treatment Plant of the Year” by the California Water Environment Association.

2014

May, 2013 – Preliminary Concept Approval Granted for development projects for the North Village Node and possible future inclusion in the Woods Valley Ranch Water Reclamation Facility –South Node expansion project.
April, 2013 – Assessment District formed to provide means to repay the State Revolving Fund Loan for the Woods Valley Ranch Water Reclamation Facility-South Village Expansion Project.

2013

May, 2011 – Due to improving water supply conditions, Board rescinds the Level 2, Water Supply Shortage Alert Condition.

2011

September, 2009 – Due to drought and legally imposed environmental flow restrictions imposed on the State Water Project, Board implements a Level 2, Water Supply Shortage Alert Condition requiring a 13% mandatory reduction in supply to the District’s SAWR Accounts.

2009

August, 2007 – District enters into Power Purchase Agreement with Solar Power Partners for the Lake Turner 1.1 megawatt Photo-voltaic Solar Project.
April, 2007 – VCMWD Board authorizes accelerated installation of the Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) system which will reduce labor involved in monthly meter reading.

2007

February, 2006 - District installs the 10,000th meter and delivers 36,090 AF of water.

2006

December, 2005 – VCMWD enters into Water Purchase Contract with Poseidon Resources for the proposed Carlsbad Sea Water Desalination Project and later forms San Diego Desal Partners comprised of other contracting water districts and cities.
November, 2005 – VCMWD Board approves moving forward with Woods Valley Ranch Water Reclamation Facility Expansion Project to serve the South Village Planning Node.
July, 2005 – VCMWD accepts the operation of the Woods Valley Ranch Water Reclamation Facility, treating effluent from the Woods Valley Ranch Residential Community and then sending tertiary treated effluent to the WVR Golf Course for irrigation.
March, 2005 – VCMWD Board approves moving forward on installation of the new Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System (SCADA) to modernize remote system control, monitoring, security and data collection as well as enhance system efficiency in terms of energy use and labor commitment.

2005

2004

May, 2002 – VCMWD completes its Water System Master Plan update identifying and prioritizing water distribution and storage system improvements to be accomplished over the next 10 to 15 years at an estimated cost of $65 million.

2002

June, 1997 – County of San Diego suspends efforts to form a wastewater project assessment district and property owners approach and request VCMWD to assume the effort.

1997

May, 1994 – MWD responds to efforts by VCMWD, other agricultural water agencies, Farm Bureaus, and Avocado Commission to reinstate the Interim Agricultural Water Program, providing reduced water prices in exchange for being interruptible during droughts.

1994

January, 1990 – Six years of statewide drought results in MWD calling for 31% reduction in water deliveries and eliminated agricultural price supports, severely impacting VCMWD’s agricultural customer base.

1990

March, 1988 – Voters reject EPA Grant offer and impose a debt and capital spending limit on the District.

1988

October, 1984 – EPA awards $5.7 million grant for the design and construction of the Central Valley Wastewater Project.

1984

August, 1982 – District installs the 5,000th meter and delivers 29,385 AF of water.

1982

September, 1980 - $1.5 million in Safe Drinking Water Loan Funds secured to construct the North Feeder Line and correct other system deficiencies.

1980

June, 1977 – VCMWD Board adopts a water shortage ordinance in response to supply restrictions caused by the statewide drought.

1977

April, 1973 – VCMWD begins consideration of a wastewater treatment plant, collection, treatment and disposal system to serve the Central Valley portion of Valley Center.

1973

August, 1970 - With 600 people in attendance, including the Commissioner of Bureau of Reclamation, ground is broken on the 1,600 AF Lake Turner Dam and Reservoir, and the project is completed in 1971.

1970

November, 1966 - By a 77% approval margin, voters authorize a $2.8 million General Obligation Bond issue to finance water system improvements.

1966

April, 1965 – VCMWD sells the 1,000th meter and delivers 7,233 acre feet of water (one acre foot equals 326,000 gallons of water).

1965

November, 1964 - Voters approved second General Obligation Bond issue of $1,750,000 by a vote of 435 to 109 for water system improvements.

1964

January, 1963 – VCMWD Board forms Improvement District “U-1” to finance construction of a water distribution system which would be the first of 12 “U” Districts formed between 1963 and 1968. “U” District water improvements were financed by bonds to be repaid by property tax assessments. The last “U” District bonds for “U-12” were paid off in 1999.

1963

October, 1960 – VCMWD Board approves Annexation No. 1, the first of 8 annexations which would ultimately increase the District’s service area to 64,520 acres or 100 square miles from the original 56,254 acres.

1960

January, 1956 – VCMWD issues $1.6 million in General Obligation Bonds to build the first water distribution and storage facilities.

1956

July, 1954 – VCMWD officially organized and incorporated by the California Secretary of State under the Municipal Water District Act of 1911.
June, 1954 - Voters approve formation of the Valley Center Municipal Water District (VCMWD) by a vote of 406 to 63.

1954

February, 1953 – Area property owners hold a public meeting to discuss the possibility of obtaining Colorado River Water through the San Diego County Water Authority and the Metropolitan Water District Aqueducts by forming a Municipal Water District.

1953